SimplyCool

Old 10-30-2009, 03:23 AM

Default The Big Shurikan on ASUS Rampage II Gene

Hi everybody. The Big Shurikan on ASUS Rampage II Gene. New to this Forum
Relating to my public album.
These pictures were taken uring change of CPU cooler.OBS Last picture nbr 1 (first) all in reverse order!!!!
From the original Intel to Big Shurikan. My choise because of space limitations in the chassi, only 145mm.
I choose the Big because of the possibility to change the fan to Noctua NF-P12.
A high pressure fan 1300rpm and 90+ m3/h.Due to it has only 3 pin conn I use the Zalman fan controller ZM-MFC2.
It controls 4 fans and it works Ok but hard to read the monitoring display,due to bad choice by Zalman,
the angle to read is poor.
RAM:Memory slot one (A2) will be covered by the cooler. It had to be placed before mounting the unit and
my Artic Cooler fin for this one had to be bent to pass/fit aswell.

But to be honest it depends on what OS you are running as the 32 only can read one memory of the pair the 64 can use both.
At the moment I have 32 but will change when I'm satisfied with the cenvertion.
I ended up with 6x1GB: 3x1GB Skill DDR31600-3x1GB Kingston DDR31600,2 sets for i7 CPU.Also correct according to test I've read.
The later part of pictures show the change of CPU fan and mounting of the four termistors to read temps in places of choise.
I choose to read
1/Mounting foot of the Shurikan as close I could to the CPU.
2/Airtemp direct under/after cooler.
3/Temp of air flowing towards the NB.
4/Ram memory fourth (A2) center mem.
To cool it only with fans I used some in the chassi.The configuration is like this:
Exhaust: 2pcs Noctua NF-P12, 120mm on top.
2pcs 60mm backside chassi.Unknown air flow.
And ofcourse the grafic card cooling of the HIS.
Supply: 1pcs Noctua NF-B9, 90mm bottom.-------------------Direct flow to the grafic card fan.
1pcs Noctua NF-P12, 120mm side panel.-------------Airflow cover the SB and NB with air.
Distance to grafic card less than 10mm.
The Slpstream fan from the Shurikan, side panel.--Feeds direct on to the CPU fan, space between them about 20mm.

Testing:Since I entered the Scythe forum I lerned and understood more about CPU cooling and especially Heatpipes.
This is a mayor part of questioning in the forum regarding different things. One that gave me a chill was the one how to
place the Shurikan vertical or horizontal. Shit it's made for HTCP chassis hit my mind.
Next was regarding cutting heatpipes and the function, wicked or not and more...gravity works best.
Therefore I tried to test the system.The result of my simple tests you find here.Easy to perform and I'm confused by the result.
Using the OCCT, PC Probe and Real temp.
Normal position but my heatpipes "vertical" as mentioned in forum as the worst way of doing it. Not able to turn because of my mob.

Vertical normal pos-/-Horizontl like HTPC
OBS Running i7940 3.1Ghz/100%=125W/PC Probe:CPU 63,MB 28,SB 40,NB50C
Total computer load 355W (consumption)
Temps idle CPU 35,MB 30,SB 40,NB 50.(PC Probe)
Test OCCT: 100%/CPU 125W/CPU 70C others as idle.(OCCT)
I then laid the hole computer down on the side so the mob became "horizontal" as in a HTCP chassi.The ultimate position.
Nothing happened! Same values both in OCCT,Real temp and ofcourse PC Probe II.
The OCCT diagrams is found at my Album.
More questions in my mind.
Next how does heatpipes work?Will try the web for an answer.
Many tests I've read results in this cpu cooler is good for cooling up to 80W? But they consider 65C on CPU is high enough?
The i7 940 I have is good for 100C before triping.
As mentioned above I tested with OCCT to CPU 100% and 125W.Temp CPU70,MB40,SB50,NB60 (MB,SB,NB same and stable as IDLE)

Not only the temp diff of cooling media (room air temp) but also the difference between them (CPU) matters.
Temp diff is the "amplitude" (pressure) of transfer ability between 2 media.In my case between air in the room and heatpipe/convection surface.
Or am I thinking totaly wrong? See my album you will geta better pictu.......

All feedback wanted.As I said all very confusing to me.
I'm new to computers, started to take interest early this year.Including forums like this.
Need time to learn about OS systems for this also.
Related posts in forum:
http://www.scythe-eu.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8777
Click Me!
http://www.scythe-eu.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8781
Click Me!
http://www.scythe-eu.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8743
Click Me!
http://www.scythe-eu.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8741
Click Me!
My Albums are open for everyone who find interest in cooling and build especially on ASUS Rampage Gene and information regarding heatpipe function. Will put more when I find anything of interest. Feel free to have a look.
My first build and Rookey:Rampage II Gene/i7 940 (Grand Kama Cross [change from Big Shurikan-Noctua NF-P12])/HIS HD4890 Fan Turbo/3x1GB Skill DDR31600-3x1GB Kingston DDR31600/Scythe KAZE Server/OS Vista Ultimate on 500GB-WD7200rpm and 7 Home Prem Eng (64-bit) on both 160GB WD,320GB SeaG.(2.5"/7200rpm useing Scythe Twin Mounter 2.5" for 3.5" bay.
[@3.8GHz-19555 3DMarks06]Jan22,2010.
My Albums are open for everyone who find interest in cooling and build especially on ASUS RampageII Gene.

Last edited by AiAiAi; 01-02-2010 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Related post "links"
Old 02-27-2010, 07:39 PM

What was your temp on the i7 before replacing the stock shuriken fan?
Old 02-28-2010, 04:08 PM

Hi (Had a problem with my internet conn that's why answer late)
To be honest I never tried to test it with Everest or OCCT as I didn't know anything about testing computers.
First of all when I came home from Thailand with the computer and started to play Stalker SOC I could smell burnet.
That's when just playing.

Secondly when asking them to put in a second grafik card for crossfire the answer was "it will no coop with that"

I'm not used to computers but tried to learn about first "cooling" and I beleive I understand some about this now.
Two OCCT before changing to B Shuriken and 3.06GHz.

When I saw the temps I got scared to damage my CPU. Now I know better but the fan was Wakening Up my wife in the next room so I knew I had to do something if I wanted to play games at night. Hitting 80 degC after 30sek testing doesn't feel good.....
Mine is running 3.06GHz (23x) and 147W without any OC in bios. HT on so stressing this part aswell. One of my tests is
stressing this part even more when using 'Skill" settings to optimize the RAMs 1600.This also is heat and stress rising.
OC is one thing but load is somthing else.Creating heat to be transfered away.
After this my OC up to 3.8GHz just for fun.

Honestly I can not give you an answer but the Intel cooler is crap and not there for performance. They have to put on a
cooler for the average user and occational power peaks and at the same time not to big to damage the Mob when
ransporting the computer when assambled as a unit.
They anyway are saved by the Intel CPU auto cut down and shut down design when reaching 100C.
They really aren't bothered about power tops as long they aren't for to long (playing games for hours)

Yust give a thougt to Who will "build" and sell my combination (or Yours) of a computer. Not for the normal users but for
(don't understand me wrong) Freaks with special interests.
Maybee you could give the temps you have as when i checked out yor chassi it's a nice build with a lot of free air to the
CPU fanzink.Might invest in one aswell, my chassi also for travelling and on the move.
But now with the Grand Kama Cross it will have to come off. But no big deal as I bought the 775 Stabilizer kit
with a backplate.
Have nice day Dude
My first build and Rookey:Rampage II Gene/i7 940 (Grand Kama Cross [change from Big Shurikan-Noctua NF-P12])/HIS HD4890 Fan Turbo/3x1GB Skill DDR31600-3x1GB Kingston DDR31600/Scythe KAZE Server/OS Vista Ultimate on 500GB-WD7200rpm and 7 Home Prem Eng (64-bit) on both 160GB WD,320GB SeaG.(2.5"/7200rpm useing Scythe Twin Mounter 2.5" for 3.5" bay.
[@3.8GHz-19555 3DMarks06]Jan22,2010.
My Albums are open for everyone who find interest in cooling and build especially on ASUS RampageII Gene.

Last edited by AiAiAi; 02-28-2010 at 08:41 PM.