SimplyCool

Go Back   Official Scythe Forum > Scythe CPU Coolers > Zipang Series

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2008, 12:36 PM

Default Zipang and the fan....

Nice heatsink, but with a fan that is under-powered..... I was forced to use a different fan, and mod the heatsink slightly to get the temperatures down to where I wanted. The fan is almost noiseless..... but when trying to cool a hot CPU, it needs help. The heatsink itself is neat. You can rotate the mount to install it in four different orientations, which can be very useful. I'm using a 478 CPU, which is rather easy to install. The 775 setups may be more difficult....

silentpcreview.com | View topic - Scythe Zipang ..... Impressions, Mods.
Old 05-04-2008, 01:28 AM

Bluefront and I have been having this conversation on Silent PC Review.

Summary here is: Zipang is a great cooler and the fan is woefully underpowered. The 930 rpm I get from this fan causes the VRM components to heat up a full 10C. This is due to lack of air movement from the slow fan.

I installed a Panaflo 120x38 12U in place of the Scythe fan, and it moves plenty of air. CPU and VRM temps are significantly reduced. The Zipang does a great job on the CPU, even with the flow fan. The VRM components suffer. The problem I have with 120mm fans on the Zipang, is there is no clean way to mount them.

IMO, the extra 20mm width is completely wasted, and is either a marketing gimmick, or size for the sake of size. The heat pipes are concentrated under the 120mm fan area. The Zipang width could be cut back from 144 to 124mm to accomodate a standard 120 fan. However, once better 140mm fans are available, this will be an academic point only.

My retail vendor says they will be stocking Evercool EC-14025x12E fans in June. These have the Sony fluid bearing for long life, and up to 1800 rpm and 114 cfm air flow. Until this fan is available, I'm trying two Evercool Red Scorpion 140mm fans. They are only 1200 rpm, but do have the fluid bearing.

Bluefront has successfully experimented with using skirts around the Zipang to direct more air flow to the VRM. I will try this with the stock fan, as my Red Scorpions will not be here for several days.

I mounted the Zipang using the Thermalright LGA-775 bolt-through bracket kit. This is a cumbersome and difficult installation. I use 3mm nylon spacers under the Zipang bracket to keep it the correct height off the board, same as the push-pin mounting. You will need a very short Phillips 90-degree offset driver to turn down the spring loaded screws, as they are round head and not suitable for a wrench. Pity, as that would be much easier. The Intel push-pin mounting arrangement makes me nervous with this much weight and moment applied to the system board.

The four 3.0mm screws that hold the bracket to the sink are just long enough for the job. The base is 2.0mm, and the bracket is 1.0mm. I would prefer seeing the screws at 3.5 or 4.0mm for just a bit of extra thread bite in the base. I use Blue Loctite for the four mount screws. They never have to come off, no matter how you rotate the Zipang. Good thinking, Scythe.

I own two Zipang for myself, and am using them for my clients' workstations and servers. The board of choice is a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R or DS3L type. The 4-way orientation of the Zipang allows it to blow down on the hot running North Bridge sinks on these boards. A perfect solution.

I think the Zipang is a perfect heat sink.... except for the crummy, cheap, sleeve bearing fan. Install an 1800 rpm fluid bearing 140mm fan, and a Zalman variable fan control, then regulate to taste.

Last edited by bgavin; 05-04-2008 at 01:30 AM. Reason: added more info
Old 05-05-2008, 07:50 PM

Well I realize the heatpipes are more in the center of the heatsink, and would line up with a 120mm fan better. But the heat is transferred into the fins, and then travels to the edge of the heatsink quickly. I seriously doubt this is a problem.....and I doubt a more widely spaced heat-pipe setup would perform better enough to make a difference.

IMHO....the Zipang needs a more powerful fan for hotter CPUs. I'm using a P4-3.4EE that runs fairly hot. Bgavin is using a Prescott which is even hotter. The later Intel CPUs run much cooler (usually)....
Old 05-05-2008, 09:13 PM

IMO, the Zipang is a market-leading cooler. The fan is easily replaced, and that will cure its only short coming. The stock 930 rpm fan does a decent job of cooling my hot running Prescott 3.0 GHz P4-530 and I am satisified with this. My single disappointment with Zipang is VRM cooling performance with the stock fan.

However, if I need more cooling I can run a faster fan. I'm completely sold on Zipang, and will continue to use them for client machines with a different fan.

When more high quality 140mm fans become available, the real strength of Zipang will become obvious. The Evercool fluid bearing 140mm fans will be available through my vendor in June. The models range from 600 to 1800 rpm, so one of these Evercool fans will do the job.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:49 PM
Product Manager

Hey bluefront and bgavin!

Thanks for your feedback. I did read your posts but did not reply as I need to check about possibilities with Japan. Japan is on a public Holiday at this moment, so I need to wait and discuss with them, what can be done.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:42 PM

Thank you for your excellent support and consideration.

Tone of voice is not possible over the Internet, so I want to state clearly that I am very supportive of your efforts, and the Scythe support board. You make excellent products, and my comments are intended entirely to be supportive of those products.

I will post more results with different fans, as the data becomes available. I fully intend on using Zipang in all my high-end builds. When I find the right fan, I will post it here.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:34 PM

Thanks for any help. I have my fan problem solved for now, but I hope for other's sake, that you can resolve this issue. The Zipang appears to be an excellent product, only in need of a different fan. My other issue with that fan....it refuses to start at low voltage (5v), so I stopped using it even as a case fan. Too bad....
Old 05-23-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote Bgavin .....

IMO, there is coming a big market for 140mm fans with fluid bearings. The larger fans moves more air with less noise, and the fluid bearings last much longer than cheap sleeve bearings. This is important because Zipang mounts the fan in the horizontal position, which I understand is early end-of-life for sleeve bearing fans. Scythe can lead the way with 140mm fans, or get left behind.

I am using two 140mm D14SM-12 Yate Loon Sleeve bearings fans ( @ 1400 RPM ) on the top roof of my Coolermaster CM690 case . are installed horizontally , many months already ,are working properly , very silent , I am controlling the speed of each fan with a software program , I think this Yate Loon 140mm fans are excellent ,good quality , I preffer the sleeve bearings , I cannot see problems if installed horizontally , the propeller of this sleeve bearing fan keep the position on the shaft by magnetic forces , therefore no problem if installed in vertical or horizontal position

Last edited by tonschk; 05-23-2008 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:27 PM
Marketing/Service Coordinator

Hi bluefront,
I just checked one of our 140mm-Fans used for the Zipang and in my opinion it is really really silent at 12V and 7.5V - so why do you try to run this at 5V?

Regarding the YateLs: As far as I know, these fans have problems starting at voltages even higher than 5V - I was using one 120mm Yate and this even refused starting at ~6.5V.

Cheers,
Stefan
Old 05-23-2008, 12:30 PM

Well my setup is non-standard..... it uses three 140's as intake fans, plus the 140 on the Zipang. They're all speed controlled by different sensors. I did try using the Zipang fan as the center intake fan.....didn't work out. The temperatures around the board did not change at all even when the Zipang fan was turned on at 12V. So now I'm using two medium speed Yate Loons and an Evercool Red Scorpion as intakes. The Yate Loons are plenty quiet even at 12V, but the Evercool seems to blow more air, but is more noisy of course.

The poor Zipang fan sits in a box somewhere.