SimplyCool

Go Back   Official Scythe Forum > Scythe PC Accessories > Other Accessory

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2015, 03:12 PM

Default USB Footswitch II - Windows 10 64bit woes [solved], and middle mouse button solution

I bought the USB Triple Foot Switch II today. First of all, let me say this is a nice piece of hardware let down by shocking software and support. Windows 7 is six years old and is by now two major versions out of date. You should not be selling software that will not work on anything newer. Three-button mice have been standard for twenty years. Not allowing a binding for the middle mouse button was a ridiculous oversight. That these issues arose in development is forgivable. That you have not fixed them in four years, when they seem to be purely software issues, is not.

With that out of the way, on to the post:

USB Footswitch on Windows 10 64bit - it works

The software supplied on the CD does not work. Not in administrator mode, not with the Microsoft and Logitech mouse software removed[1], not in Windows 7 on VMWare (understandably), and not in wine under Linux. It fails with the "USB HIDKB not connected" error.

The updated version (LaLa/2.32) also does not work at all.

The "alternative software" does work. It's available here.

The middle mouse button - working!

I use my middle mouse button a lot, and using it with the footswitch was a make-or-break issue for me. I got it working as follows:
  • Using whatever software works for you, bind the foot pedal you want to use to Ctrl-Alt-Numpad *.
  • Install AutoHotKey.
  • Run this AHK script.

You should now find that the foot pedal you bound to Ctrl-Alt-* works as a middle mouse button. AHK is picking up the keypress, and translating it to the middle button click.

Of course, you can change the keypress it uses if you happen to use Ctrl-Alt-*. You just need to make sure the binding you set on the foot pedal, and the one the AHK script expects, are the same.

[1] I've tried a lot of things in my struggle with RSI, okay.
Old 12-14-2015, 03:26 PM

Thank you very much for your explanations and links!
Not all users have the "USB HIDKB not connected" issue. It looks that it dependence from the used chip set and/or USB chip set and independence from the operation system (I know from cases under Windows 7 / Windows 8 and Windows 8.1). But the strange is that users with the same hardware (chip set) have different experience with the foot switches.
Old 03-23-2016, 03:33 PM

Thanks I might make use of this in the future!
Is there a way to make it use scroll up/ scroll down feature?
I got footswitch II.
Would be happy if I can make left pedal- left mouse, and the right pedal - scroll down.
As I use the internet a lot, scrolling down is what happens most. Since I don't have the footswitch III wouldn't be able to have scroll down/up at the same time anyway.

Let me know if you know if there is such solution. Many thanks
Old 03-23-2016, 03:45 PM
Scythe Staff

Hi chrisssj2,

For scroll you can save on the footswitch the arrow keys of the keyboard.
It will work.
Old 03-23-2016, 04:58 PM

For the scroll wheel, you can bind the left pedal to Ctrl-Alt-numpad * and the right one to Ctrl-Alt-numpad -, and use this AHK script.

You might be better served just binding the pedals to Page Up and Page Down, since the scroll wheel's behaviour depends on the mouse pointer being positioned over the window.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:42 PM

Awesome thanks great help!
Old 09-06-2017, 03:16 AM

Default Foot pedal woes...

I tried both the software that came with it and the alternative software and no luck. The "Pedal Assignment" software claims my foot pedal isn't even installed, but it does the "1, 2, 3" thing in notepad just fine. I'm running windows 10 and it's listed as "HID Keyboard device" under keyboards in Device Manager. Any help would be great.

P.S.: It does state windows 10 compatible on the box.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:28 AM
Scythe Staff

Hi jj77669,

The foot switch is compatible with Windows 10.
It could be a USB driver conflict when other USB devices are connected during installation. You can disconnect the devices and try again to program USB foot switches.

It can also sometimes logitech software prevent the installation of the foot switch program.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:11 PM

I'm having the "cant detect USB" issue as well.

The foot pedals work as keys 1 2 and 3 ... but this is not practical ... I can't set them to anything else as the software (2.31 , 2.32, and alternative software here) all do not recognize it.

Can someone help me solve this before my amazon return date passes?

Thanks.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:23 AM
Scythe Staff

Hi jamez243

if the foot switch work as 1.2.3 that means it is recognized. You can click button "clean" in the program window to delete the data. After that, click the line in the program, then press the keyboard key you want to save on the foot switch.
Finally, click the "save"