SimplyCool

Go Back   Official Scythe Forum > Scythe CPU Coolers > Ninja Series

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2008, 11:24 AM
Marketing/Service Coordinator

Default Ninja Mini dimensions & compatibility

Link to the Compatibility List

Please find the attached image with the most important dimensions.

Please be aware that there could be minor differences due to fault tolerances during the manufacturing process.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:16 AM

i am wondering does Ninja Mini fits on Abit ip35-e or not?
Old 06-18-2008, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

See: Ninja CU & Ninja Mini Compatibility

Push Postings will be deleted without notice.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:16 PM

Default Asus p5n-e sli

Hello, first post here.

I am considering to get myself the Ninja Mini HS, but have some questions before making any decisions.

1. According to compatibility list, the Mini fits an Asus P5N-E sli mobo but I'm still little curious whether the a) big northbridge heatsink will interfere with the Ninja and b) if I have to move the RAM in order to fit the fan (or a 92mm quieter fan).

2. When installed properly, it looks like the heatsink base's "one way" fins are oriented in such way to let the airflow from the fan pass towards the back of the PC case where the case fan normally operate. This means while the VRM components will benefit from the directed airflow,n the northbridge on the Ninja's side will get none, at least that's my conclusion when studying various photos. Can you confirm there is practically no airflow from the sides of the Ninja and its heatsink to cool components that are located on its sides?
For me, it's important to cool both NB-chip and VRM modules, as the Nforce chip gets pretty hot.

I've looked into the Kama Kross as well, and while I like the idea of the tilted fins, it seems the cooling properties (for cpu) isn't on the good side judging from some reviews.

Here's a photo of my mobo:

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Pq2GTrvA

Note the huge NB heatsink.

Thanks.

Last edited by newtoninja; 04-27-2009 at 12:23 PM. Reason: added info
Old 04-27-2009, 12:33 PM

Hello newtoninja,

welcome to our support forum!

1) Ninja Mini should fit onto the P5N-E SLI as far I could judge this from pictures. RAM should also be okay when you are not using Reapers or other RAM with high heatspreaders.

2) For having a real airflow to cool down components on the mainboard, a top-flow cooler like Shuriken, Kabuto, Zipang or Andy Samurai is better than a tower-cooler like Ninja Mini. "Practically no airflow" is really relative, but yes, there is less airflow than when you are using for example a Andy Samurai.

Kind regards,
Stefan - Scythe EU Hamburg
Old 04-27-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiroshige View Post
Hello newtoninja,

welcome to our support forum!

1) Ninja Mini should fit onto the P5N-E SLI as far I could judge this from pictures. RAM should also be okay when you are not using Reapers or other RAM with high heatspreaders.

2) For having a real airflow to cool down components on the mainboard, a top-flow cooler like Shuriken, Kabuto, Zipang or Andy Samurai is better than a tower-cooler like Ninja Mini. "Practically no airflow" is really relative, but yes, there is less airflow than when you are using for example a Andy Samurai.

Kind regards,

Hi, thanks for a prompt reply!

1) No, i don't use any heatspreaders on my RAM, so there should be enough clearance I guess, at least height-wise. But according to a review, the reviewer had to move the ram-sticks to the second slot (lower performance) and as far as I remember, he didn't have heatspreaders on his RAM-modules.

2) If that's the case, I might check out some top-flow HS you mentioned.
Or perhaps I can detach the fan from the Mini and replace it with a bigger fan and somehow mount the fan on the mobo or a 5.25 bay, and let the air cool the Ninja and other mobo components... I don't know if it's feasible. Many reviewers suggest the Ninja mini doesn't need a fan as long as the case has a good air flow. What is your opinion on this?

My rig runs Dual 2 Core 2.00 ghz by the way.

Some user's comment I stumbled upon reports that the Shuriken's top-flow effect over the mobo's components aren't sufficient, saying the VRM modules got pretty hot but I have no idea how hot those components were to begin with. Mine don't that hot by the way.
What I need is a good cooler, below 500 grams, and not too big.
But I'm not totally ready to give up on the Ninja Mini yet. It's cooling properties seems to be on par or slightly less than much bigger tower style competitors and it's pretty handsome piece of work.

Choice of fan isn't an issue, since I intend to get a quiet(er) fan since the fans that come with Kama Kross and Mini aren't the quietest among the ones Scythe offers.

Last edited by newtoninja; 04-27-2009 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:02 PM

Hello newtoninja,

thanks a lot for your response.

Actually, we only have pictures of the mainboards to suggest if there will be issues regarding compatibility or not.

Lots of the things you are mentioning have to be tested of course, like the thing with cooling mobo components - my experience is, that Shuriken is better to cool down those components than Ninja Mini.

Kind regards,
Old 04-27-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Hello newtoninja,

thanks a lot for your response.

Actually, we only have pictures of the mainboards to suggest if there will be issues regarding compatibility or not.

Lots of the things you are mentioning have to be tested of course, like the thing with cooling mobo components - my experience is, that Shuriken is better to cool down those components than Ninja Mini.

Kind regards,

Yes, and I know it can be little difficult to judge those things just by looking at the pictures.

Mr Kero states that: "Hi, Ninja Mini and CU should be fine with ASUS P5N-E SLI. 90% compatibility chance I believe."

Ninja CU & Ninja Mini Compatibility

And Mr Baumhoto (same page) states that at least the Ninja CU is compatible with p5n-e sli:

" Just installed Ninja CU on Asus P5N-E SLI. Compatible!"

From what I gather, the width and length of the Ninja CU are same as the Mini... I dropped a message to Mr. Baumhoto to see if he has any remarks regarding the installation.

The Shuriken was actually my first and most sought-after option; top-down cooling, small size "footprint" and very handsome piece of HSF. But the cooling properties for cpu seems to be not optimal (now, it sounds like I'm continuously bashing your product line but I'm not. i'm just reading a lot of reviews to make sure everything's perfect and fits my needs well before I buy one) due to some technical solution that doesn't take full benefit of its materials:

iXBT Labs - Cooler Master V4, Scythe Shuriken, Zalman CNPS8700 NT CPU Coolers - Page 2: Scythe Shuriken

Again, I don't know why this guy got so bad results compared to others that seem to get better results when testing the Shuriken, there might be many factors that are left out such as bad application of the thermal goo
and so forth. I may as well look more closely into the Shuriken again if there are no other options left (like the Ninja Mini for example).
If other reviews balance up the negative review I will surely reconsider the Shuriken.

Thanks for your patience and swift support.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:38 PM

Hello newtoninja,

"Kero?" is actually Shinigami - he is a colleague of mine, we are sitting in the same office here in Hamburg

Shuriken is a really flat and small CPU Cooler and therefore, the cooling performance is of course a bit weaker than for example the one of Ninja Mini.

Reviews are always depending on lots of factors like room temperature, testing procedure etc. - so it is quite normal that some pages test better and some even worse.

Kind regards,
Old 04-27-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Hello newtoninja,

"Kero?" is actually Shinigami - he is a colleague of mine, we are sitting in the same office here in Hamburg

Shuriken is a really flat and small CPU Cooler and therefore, the cooling performance is of course a bit weaker than for example the one of Ninja Mini.

Reviews are always depending on lots of factors like room temperature, testing procedure etc. - so it is quite normal that some pages test better and some even worse.

Kind regards,

Ah, sorry if I thought otherwise... My apologies to Mr Shinigami. :-P

Yeah, many factors are involved and Shuriken is indeed very tiny compared
with other HSF's.

However, it seems the xbitlab's criticism regarding the design solution in Shuriken could be valid, such as the heatpipes being just partially embedded into the fins and non complete contact with the fin-stack etc.

The thermal properties for my 2.00 ghz is 65 W and should suffice I guess. A 2.66 ghz is definintely too hot for this HS though, resulting in 78 degrees C. Fudzilla - Scythe Shuriken is almost inaudible

Is a 120 mm fin compatible with Shuriken?

Thanks again,