SimplyCool

Go Back   Official Scythe Forum > Scythe CPU Coolers > Ninja Series

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2011, 02:27 PM

Default Ninja 3 fan doesnt spin (after 1 year working)

Hi all

I am having problems with the fan of my Ninja 3 cpu cooler.

4 days ago, when I turned on the computer I found out that the CPU fan wasnt spinning (because of the "CPU Fan error" warning), and I tried to plug another fan in the CPU_FAN motherboard connector (the fan of the stock cpu cooler) and, when I started the computer it spinned, so I thought that the Ninja 3 fan was wrong and I decided to take it to the store where I bought it in order to get it replaced.
But next day, I turned on the computer and the fan was spinning at the correct RPM :S so I didnt take it to the store, and the next 2 days it worked too (yesterday I didnt use the computer), but today I started the computer and I got the "cpu fan error" warning again...

And here is my doubt:
today I have tried to plug the fan in another connector of the motherboard instead of the CPU_Fan one, and it worked :s and it seemed to me (because of the noise) that it was spinning faster than normal, and I found in the motherboard user guide that the connector in which I plugged the fan(CHA_FAN2) is a 12V one (I dont know if this is too much voltage, because it doesnt say the CPU_fan connector's voltage but I thought that the normal voltage for a fan was 5V, that would explain the higher speed I think, sorry for my ignorance)

here is the page of the motherboards manual with the information of the different fan connectors:

Please help, Why does the fan spin when pluged in to the CHA_Fan connector but not in the CPU_Fan one? Can I use the computer with the fan connected to the cha_fan connector? For what I said, do you think that it is the cooler fan what is broken, or it can be the motherboard's cpu_fan connector? and why did the fan just stop spinning after 1 year of working properly? :S

thank you, and sorry for my english (Im spanish)
Old 12-25-2011, 03:20 PM
Scythe Staff

Hi Zuxel,

The fan in the "CPU_FAN" plug.
The warning "CPU Fan Error" appears when the "BIOS Settings" for the CPU fan is not correct.
Please check in the BIOS. There should be possible to reduce the "minimum CPU fan speed." Then there is no error.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansay View Post
Hi Zuxel,

The fan in the "CPU_FAN" plug.
The warning "CPU Fan Error" appears when the "BIOS Settings" for the CPU fan is not correct.
Please check in the BIOS. There should be possible to reduce the "minimum CPU fan speed." Then there is no error.
Hi

I know that the cpu cooler must be connected in the cpu_fan plug, I have had it connected there for 1 year XD but now it doesnt work, but it works (and at higher speed) when connected to the CHA_FAN2 plug, thats why I ask if it is safe to use the computer with the fan connected to the cha_fan2 plug

I dont know if I understood you well, but I cant solve the problem by reducing the "minimum cpu fan speed" because the problem is that the cpu fan speed is 0 XD

Thank you
Old 12-26-2011, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

Please go into BIOS.
Go to the QFAN section. Select the following mode for QFAN CPU: "High" or "Performance".

This should raise the overall fan speed on the CPU fan header. If the fan still doesn't spin up it may be faulty.

The PWM control in the fan does then does no longer seem to work because when you connect the fan to the CHA2 header it just runs full speed with 12 volts over the 3pin connector (control signal on the fourth wire is missing).

Please keep in mind what Sansay said & meant: If the PWM level in QFAN is set to "normal" or "silent" with Scythe fans it is possible that they start rotating only when higher temperatures are reached!

It is the same here: I am using 2 Scythe PWM fans with QFAN "silent" and they run at 200 rpm. Se this means nearly any other fan would just have stopped under these circumstances.

Push Postings will be deleted without notice.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:01 PM

Exactly the same problem as Zyxel have here, one year my Ninja 3 worked perfectly, and now the fan died. In first time the "CPU fan error" appeared, then a few days worked well, then again a "CPU Fun Error". And now it does not run in any mode.
In my case, switching the other modes in the BIOS does not give anything, because it just is an "CPU Fun Error", as if there is no fan at all. At the same time, another fan through this connector (CPU_FAN) works fine. The worst thing is that the fan does not work in other connectors too. In general, the whole year, I was happy that successfully chosen a cooler, and now disappointed.
In our region (Kazakhstan), there is no official sellers, this cooler was the only one in the store. There is no replacement fans.
Can you suggest something.
Thanx.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:22 PM

Hello SN74,

please contact the Scythe Support. (You can ask in English and Russian. Also please keep a copy of your invoice cooler ready.) So we can you help fast and easy.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:13 PM

Oh, thank you for trying to help me, but.. I do not understand how it can help me. I know that there is a 2-year warranty for Scythe products, but.. The situation with the warranty in our country is very bad, so I did not hope for it.
Knowing that I have nothing to hope and nothing to lose, I tried to open the fan. (see picture). So, I do not think that the support can help me.
Actually, i'm not trying to get help, I just wanted to share my problem. I will search appropriate fan with PWM (from other manufacturers). Thank you, anyway.

Last edited by SN74; 08-29-2013 at 08:23 PM. Reason: I forgot to attach picture
Old 08-29-2013, 08:54 PM

Hello SN74,

if the cooler newer as 2 years - so you have also warranty of the fan from the cooler. If you have an invoice of your cooler and Scythe gets a copy of this, you will get a new replacement fan (for free)!

(Of course if you like to replace the fan against another model or other manufacture - it is your choice.)

Last edited by Mugen3Dirk; 08-29-2013 at 08:57 PM. Reason: your choice
Old 08-29-2013, 09:31 PM

Yes, I have an invoice. I bought it along with the other components for a new computer in the June 21, 2012.
So if I fill the form to support and send a copy of the invoice, they will be able to send me a new fan? What else do I need to do (for example send an old fan, etc.) ..?
As for the buying the fan from another manufacturer - is a necessary step because it is simply not possible to buy Scythe products here.
Thank you.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:48 PM

Hello SN74,

in the first step fill out the Support contact form. In the second step the Scythe Support Team will ask for an invoice copy of your cooler. After that you will get a replacement fan. (But I don't now how long it takes until the new fan arrives at you.) There is no necessary to send back the old fan.

(I believe, it's hard to buy Scythe products in your country - it should possible to purchase Scythe products in Russian.)