SimplyCool

Go Back   Official Scythe Forum > Scythe CPU Coolers > Ninja Series

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2007, 12:24 AM

Default Capacitors in the way - will a URK help?

Hi guys! Good to find a friendly and informative forum...it seems very welcoming

I'm hoping I can get some good advice about my Ninja plus rev. B. I think that it may be slightly incompatible with my Gigabyte 8I915P Duo Pro motherboard since it looks like the metal pushpin mounting bracket fouls on the capacitors around the socket and therefore doesn't sit flat onto the CPU as it should. I've tried to compensate for this by using a healthy amount of thermal grease but I don't think this is sufficient.

My machine does operate OK, but if it's under heavy load, it can occasionally trigger the CPU temp warning, which is set at 70 degrees C in my BIOS. (CPU is a Pentium 4 630 overclocked to 3.6GHz).

If all was well, I would not expect it to hit this kind of temperature. I have the fan mounted to blow across the Ninja towards my extracting exhaust fan, which I think is the best setup.

I noticed the Universal Retention Kit contains a copper spacer and an alternative 775 socket mounting to the pushpins...would this solve my problem?

Many thanks for reading!
Old 11-13-2007, 01:26 AM

http://www.hardwarezone.com/img/data...%20Pro_top.jpg

Here's a pic
Hmm from the pic I don't see much of a problem.. weird.
The Universal Retention Kit would most likely fix your problem, thus getting a better performance.
Wait till Shinigami comes online, he'll probably know.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

But do not forget that if you want to "lift up" a bit to clear the capacitors with the Retention Kit you MUST use the copper spacer. And the spacer will (probably) have negative influence on the temps.

Bye Oliver

Push Postings will be deleted without notice.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:51 AM
Product Manager

Hi marky.

We do our best to help you guys, so let's try to answer your questions

The problem with the capacitors is a bit sticky. In 98% of the mobos it is not a problem, but even it is same series and maybe same production and revision, the capacitors are soldered higher ot different capacitors were used. They could interfere with the Heatsink, and that seems to be the case here. Please check, if 1.5mm will create a decent gap. As long there is not much pressure, both the capacitors and the cooler performance will be OK.

Also consider the aspects that Oliver mentioned please.

Cheers,
Andy
Old 11-13-2007, 11:42 AM

Thanks for your advice I will take a closer look to see if 1.5mm will give me the gap I need. I think you are right about the same model of board having different component arrangements: I believe my board has 4 capacitors running along the right of the socket rather than the two shown in tacc's pic.

I understand the spacer may impact the potential performance of the cooler - so I guess I need to investigate how much contact the base plate and CPU heat spreader are currently making.

Thanks again!
Old 11-13-2007, 01:34 PM

ASUS P5N-E SLI - Page 4 - [H]ard|Forum

post #78 btw

this is also an option I was looking at for fitting as I have this mobo (p5n-e sli) I did not need to cut down the bracket in the end as capacitors were smaller than shown on this link, worth thinknig about though if you do have clearance problems. So long as you don't weaken the retention bracket by removing too much material it should be fine.

Last edited by Ryan; 11-13-2007 at 01:34 PM. Reason: added post no
Old 11-13-2007, 04:47 PM
Product Manager

Hey

@Marky: Yeah, but is the clip or is the Cooler touching the capacitor's somehow? Turning the cooler by 90°C might improve the getting. You could modify the clip, that is one thing, but the clip should fit anyway...ideally do not modify the cooler itself, that voids warranty, but clip should be not the big deal (worst case I send you another clip).

@Ryan: The clip nin the Picture is the old one, the new one should be actually fine, that is why we modified it.

Andy
Old 11-15-2007, 02:47 PM

Hmm - could try modifying the clip - but I don't have much in the way of tools that will get through that thickness of metal. My clips looks the same as the one in the photo, so I guess I have the old one too (?).

I tried rotating the bracket by 90 degrees as the site suggested, but it made no difference. It's just the bracket that fouls - I think the cooler itself has plenty of room.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:34 AM
Product Manager

Hey,

Could you take a picture, as I am not sure if I understand, what you mean. That would help a lot.

Andy