SimplyCool

Go Back   Official Scythe Forum > Scythe CPU Coolers > Mainboard Compatibility

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2016, 09:09 PM

Default Scythe Ashura (or any other CPU heatsink model) and LGA 1366 Server Motherboards

Hi,

I'm starting to build a machine based on two hexacore Xeon processors and a Supermicro X8DTH-iF LGA1366 motherboard (dual socket).

After a lot of research I decided to get a couple of Scythe Ashura for this system but now I've discovered that it's not possible to mount the heatsinks on that motherboard (and probably any server), not at least with the accessories provided by default.

This is the first time I mount a system using a server motherboard so I was not aware that the backplate is a bit different than the one I was used to on general consumer boards. In fact, the server boards already have a big backplate already installed so, at first sight I thought that I could just get rid of the backplate provided with the heatsink. Unfortunately, the provided screws don't fit into the threads of the motherboard backplate (that standard M3 size).

I attach a couple of screenshots for you to see the differences between the standard and server approaches.

Any suggestion on how could I overcome this limitation?

Should I ask Scythe for any replacement screws or something or would you recommend using Standard M3 PCB standoffs? If so, which pieces should I need (sizes and so on).

Thanks in advance,
Diego

BTW: I guess the same issue applies to any other Scythe CPU heatsink.

NOTE: Attachments doesn't seem to work.
Here are the images (a similar thread from an external forum).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg backplate_lga1366_server_motherboards.jpg (24.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg backplate_lga1366_standard_motherboards.jpg (25.3 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by unoentremil; 03-19-2016 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Images
Old 03-21-2016, 08:36 AM

Hello unoentremil,

for the LGA 1366 mounting on server motherboards is no solution available. The only chance is to remove the original backplate of the motherboard and then use the included backplate of the Ashura cooler. The removing of the motherboard backplate isn't possible, because it screwed with the CPU socket bracket.

If you like to use the Ashura with this motherboard, you need to make a "homemade solution". You can remove the original motherboard backplate and saw off the edges (with thread holders) of the backplate. Then it should possible to mount the Ashura. Please keep in your mind this DIY solution don't be supported by Scythe. (You will do this on your own risk.)
Old 03-23-2016, 05:59 PM

Hello Mugen3Dirk,

I understand that your answer in the official one from Scythe. So I won't get any other solution if I request support by email. Right?

Destroying a 600€ motherboard trying to remove the backplates is scaring but I'm still wondering why is not possible to replace the provided standoffs for another ones of standard M3 screw size that could be screwed directly to the motherboard backplate. The only problem I see is that the screw of the provided standoffs is a bit thicker than the holes on the motherboard.

Please, take a look at this article:
https://forums.servethehome.com/inde...allation.5003/

Don't you think something similar would do the trick for Scythe heatsinks as well? If so, Why not? Would you please explain?

I'm sure you understand my disappointment when I discovered this undocumented lack of compatibility, after spending a good amount of money on heatsinks I can't use.

Thanks
Old 03-23-2016, 07:53 PM

Well .... the problem is the mounting of the bracket with the back plate of the motherboard ..... I will tomorrow measure the "Stud Nut" for socket 115X and 2011. Possible there is another solution for screwed mounting. Tomorrow more.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:34 AM

Hello unoentremil,

I think there is a solution for you mounting issue. But remember you will do it by your own risk!

I used also PCB standoffs. I found some with 10,50 mm height and need washers with 2 mm height to get the same height of Stud Nuts A for socket 1366 mounting. (I know there also a version with 8,50 mm height available -then you need 4 mm washers of course.)
With this Do It Yourself construction is the mounting with the original motherboard backplate instead of the original backplate from the Ashura possible. Very important: after mounting check the temperatures of the CPU (s)!

Example pictures:

Old 03-27-2016, 05:02 PM

Thanks for your help. Yeap, your suggested solution matches what I was thinking about.

Yes, I'd wish to try it (on my own risk, of course) when/if I find the required parts since I don't currently have such standoffs, nor the corresponding screws or the 2 mm height washers, neither.

Can you specify what specific screw should I have to look for? Is that screw on the photo an M3 with a pitch of 0.5 mm or what? Which length? Is there a standard naming convention for that particular screw?

Regarding the standoffs and washers. There are many options available but I don't find any of those lengths (I have only found others like 12, 13 and 8 mm ones). BTW: I understand that nylon based parts don't meet the requirements.

I'm searching at ebay, Amazon and other stores but I'm a bit lost. Maybe you could recommend the best ones and, if possible, a good place to get everything. In Europe would be great to get them sooner (I buy from Germany often and use to receive the material in a couple of days).

Examples:
13mm + 6:
https://www.amazon.es/dp/B00AH8DKJS/

12mm + ?:
https://www.amazon.es/dp/B010MPF7M8/

Various lenghts:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121917293765/

Please, excuse me for asking so many questions but my skills in these matters are extremely limited.

Lastly, I'm also wondering if Scythe wouldn't it be interested in providing a manufactured solution (Stud nuts) to make your heatsinks compatible with server motherboards in a near future. If I'm not wrong, the size of the current Stud nuts would be fine. Only the diameter/pitch of the screw is different.

Best

Last edited by unoentremil; 03-28-2016 at 01:41 AM.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:22 AM

Hey Diego, did you ever figure out the size of those screws that go into the 1366 backplate?
Old 05-26-2016, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voktepc View Post
Hey Diego, did you ever figure out the size of those screws that go into the 1366 backplate?
I'm not sure if I understand your question but the screws are M3. I've purchased 12 mm standoffs for testing (together with thin washers). The length of the male part is not so relevant (about 5 or 6 mm would do).

BTW, I have not mounted the Scythe's yet and don't really know if I ever will... For now I'm using original Supermicro heatsinks and I have found other brands offering 'out of the box' solutions intended to be mounted on servers / workstations with embedded backplates.