SimplyCool

Old 08-25-2007, 12:10 AM

Default Andy Samurai Master & Scythe Retention Kit?

Hello!

As you can see I am installing a Core 2 Duo processor on a Asus Socket 775 Mainboard (P5K Premium). I'm using the Scythe Andy Samurai Master _and_ the Retention Kit from Scythe.

Apparently I did read not the installation instructions carefully enough- it seems that I'm confronted with a problem:

I've assembled the Backplate and the mounting bars along with the insulation washers as described in the manual.

My problem now is that I do not understand how to install the Scythe CPU cooler. What part must I install onto the mounting bars?

For your information: I'm using the retention kit, because in some forums people said the cooler (various scythe cpu coolers) would fit much better. So, how do I install the Andy Samurai + Retention Kit onto the Asus P5K Premium?

Thank you very much for your help.

here are some pictures:

Here you can see the mounting bars:

Old 09-03-2007, 01:20 PM
Product Manager

Hi there unreal, welcome.

I think I can explain the whole thing in short. First of all, the copper Spacer needs to be mounted, because the insulation washers are there. That is how you get the cooler a bit higher, but performance will drop a bit. You can also remove insulation washer and copper Space, but these to go together, either with or without both.

The mounting with Universal Retention Kit is pretty easy, you need to attach the socket 478 Mounting clips to Andy Samurai Master, and then put some thermal grease onto the cpu, after that you can mount the cooler, just hook the clips into the bars. Below is an example for mounting.

Let me know if you have any question.

Greetings,
Andy
Old 09-05-2007, 04:04 PM

Hello!

Thank you for your answer! I managed to install the Cooler without the copper-spacer. It wasn't necessary because the pressure on the CPU heatspreader was big enough and the CPU cooler's standard height doesn't interfere the heatpipe construction of the motherboard.

The Andy Samurai now fits percectly and is doing his job very well!

Best regards
Old 10-16-2007, 09:04 AM
Product Manager

Hi,

Glad to hear that everything is running fine now. Have fun with your Andy Cooler.

Greets
Old 11-10-2009, 08:10 PM

How does this work for the thing called "CPU Cooler Stabilizer 775" ?
I have downloaded the manual. But I can not figure out how it should work.
Maybe posting some pictures with this would also help?!
Ow - I'm considering two Kabutu coolers.

Grtz - Will

Last edited by NogNeetMachinaal; 11-10-2009 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-11-2009, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

This new kit uses screws. The old retention kit "converts" the socket 775 to socket 478 and then you use the socket 478 bracket that was delivered with your Scythe cooler.

The new kit just uses the socket 775 bracket but the lastic pushpins are removed. Through the holes (in which the pushpins once were) you can screw the cooler to a backplate from the new kit. So no more socket 478 conversion.

Push Postings will be deleted without notice.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli View Post
This new kit uses screws. The old retention kit "converts" the socket 775 to socket 478 and then you use the socket 478 bracket that was delivered with your Scythe cooler.

The new kit just uses the socket 775 bracket but the lastic pushpins are removed. Through the holes (in which the pushpins once were) you can screw the cooler to a backplate from the new kit. So no more socket 478 conversion.
Mmmm - looks tricky - mounting 4 screws equally so that the cooler touches the complete surface of the CPU.
If I tighten one screw too much, the cooler might not touch the CPU surface as it should.
How can I prevent that from happening?

Do you have some pictures of this process and the end result?
Old 11-11-2009, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

No pics, sorry, but AFAIK the screw's thread has a defined length so if you screw them to the end you'll have an equal pressure.

End result: CPU Cooler Stabilizer 775 : Scythe EU GmbH

Push Postings will be deleted without notice.