SimplyCool

Old 01-30-2009, 09:56 PM

Default kaze master power a fan?

I'm running a Kaze Master right now and to go with it I just purchased a Vantec 80mm Tornado. While only being an 80mm it moves 110CFM, its a great fan. Unfortunately It can't seem to be controlled through the Master. I checked the website and it says I need to have the fan controller power the fan and not the power supply ( http://www.vantecusa.com/front/knowl...rnado&search=# ). I'm not really sure how this can be done though if at all.

If this is a stupid question I do apologize but fan controllers are a new experience for me since I never needed them before. I appreciate any help you guys can offer.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

Well things are complicated:

Vantec has decided so use a 4-pin molex connector (as you use it for IDE hard drives or optical drives) for power supply of their Tornado.

And they use a 3-pin molex as it is used for fans with only a single yellow line connected which supplies the speed signal.

But: The Kaze Master expects a combined 3-pin molex connector with the two power pins and the yellow speed line so that it can a) show the rpm and b) control the fan by voltage regulation.

So in the Vantec FAQ you linked to it is proposed to use an adapter which changes the big 4-pin molex into the smaller 3-pin "fan" molex so that you can connect the Tornado the the Kaze Master. The Kaze Master would then be powered by the KM and could be regulated through it. BUT: As the big 4-pin molex connector doesn't carry a speed signal you could only regulate the speed but wouldn't get any feedback on the actual rpm as there is no possibility to additionally connect the separate yellow speed line.

The solution would be to remove the single yellow line from the small 3-pin molex and connect it also to the empty third pin of the 4-pin to 3-pin molex adapter. Assuming that you now how to do that without destroying anything. That's how I understand this whole matter.

This is how the adapter would look like:
http://webshopvision.main-shops.de/u...1615_1_big.jpg

As you can see the smaller end of this adapter only has 2 pins (red & black). If you were able to also connect to single yellow line to this smaller connector, you'd have speed regulation AND speed signalling.

Push Postings will be deleted without notice.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:15 PM

Or, if you can be arsed (this is what I did with some older fans I had a problem with a while back), simply cut the ends off and hook the fan up directly to the controller pin.

But the molex off and connect the same colours to the same colours, and then take the seperate yellow wire and do the same. You will end up with your fan going directly into the header you need, and then straight into the fan.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:10 AM

As a newbie to this forum I'd like to add my problem asking for answers and help.
My problem is that trying to built a new (high tech) computer I have chosen
a) Thermaltake VI90001W2Z Spedo Advance as chassis
(Thermaltake Global > Product > Chassis > FullTower > SpedoSeries > VI90001W2Z= ) and b) 2 units Scythe KM01-BK-5.25 KAZE MASTER BLACK mainly to control the speed of the 6 preinstalled chassis' fans (1X140mm front, 2X120mm rear, 1X120mm inside, 1X230mm side and 1X230mm top) and the 2 Noctua NH-U12P SE 1366 fans.
The reseller cannot deliver the computer as yet because although he has installed all the components he claims that he cannot connect the molex connectors of the Thermaltake fans to the two control panels until he gets a special adaptor converting the molex to a 3pin connector (with red-yellow-black wires as he claims).
Reading this thread I realized that there is no way of converting the molex to a 3pin connector like the ones needed by the Scythe controller since there is no RPM signal wire supplied with the fans.

So my question is: in order to monitor and control the speed of thw fans do I have to replace the preinstalled fans with new ones supplied with the RPM signal wire?

I would like to ask you also if I can control the speed of the two 230mm fans or not, as I have heard that the speed of these big fans cannot be controlled.

I'd very much appreciate any help

Last edited by makfil; 03-20-2009 at 10:00 AM.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:11 AM
Product Manager Assistant

Send a message via MSN to sumo

Hello makfil,

there are two options.

Quote:
Or, if you can be arsed (this is what I did with some older fans I had a problem with a while back), simply cut the ends off and hook the fan up directly to the controller pin.

But the molex off and connect the same colours to the same colours, and then take the seperate yellow wire and do the same. You will end up with your fan going directly into the header you need, and then straight into the fan.
You have to buy new fans with a standard 3-Pin fan conector.

Sorry for that answer, but there are only this two options i know. if someone have a better one, let me know.

Chris
Scythe EU GmbH
Old 01-08-2011, 05:35 PM

i've got 3 fans in my system: cpu, gpu and psu.
cpu fan is pwm (4-pin, currently plugged into the motherboard), so am i right assuming it does not make much sense to try to connect it to the kaze master?
gpu fan has just two wires, so I guess I won't have rpm display even if I connect it.
what about the psu fan? can it somehow be controlled with kaze master? (i've got huntkey "green star" psu).
I've also got a chassis fan with 4-pin molex connector, but I've never used this fan it since I never felt like i needed it.

can I actually control anything with KM01-BK-5.25?
Old 01-10-2011, 09:25 AM
Marketing & Support

Send a message via MSN to Okiwana Okimoto Send a message via Skype™ to Okiwana Okimoto

Hello kto,

psu is not a good idea =) If you have a random vga cooler (not stock) you can control the fans - for example Scythe Musashi/Setsugen1+2. With our fan controllers its also possible to controll 4-pin PWM fans.

Regards,
Oki

Old 01-11-2011, 04:12 AM

i've got KM01-BK Kaze Master 5,25, i don't believe it can handle 4-pin pwm coolers.
so i guess i cannot control even a single fan with this thing. oh well.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:39 AM
Marketing & Support

Send a message via MSN to Okiwana Okimoto Send a message via Skype™ to Okiwana Okimoto

Hmm ?

you can also handle with our KM01 fans with pwm function (4pin). I cannot understand your argument here