SimplyCool

Old 10-29-2008, 05:10 AM

Default Kaze master Potentiometer

Hello,

I have a 5,25" kaze master controller with a dead potentiometer; it only reacts on fullspeed (12v).

Is there a way I can order one or more of these specific pot-meters or can you tell me the specifications so I can order them from a local electronics store?!

Thanks! Porto

ps. Can't RMA it anymore, tried to repair the potmeter myself and because of that the unit is out of warranty.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:06 AM
Product Manager Assistant

Send a message via MSN to sumo

hy,

do you try to check the voltage output of this channel with Voltmeter?
Old 10-29-2008, 01:36 PM

Yes, I did.
The voltage output on the center pin (it's a 3 pin potmeter) is the variable one. Its output stays on 0 volt until the potmeter is turned to max setting, than it is shorted with the third pin which is 12v. The output on pin 1 is constant around 4v.

I compared these voltages with one of the working potmeters and only the voltages between 0 and 11v won't work anymore so I guess it is internally faulty.
Old 10-31-2008, 03:54 PM

Hi,

Anyway, can you tell me where I can buy similar potmeters or do you have the specs for me so I can search for them myself?

I need to know the resistance range.

Porto
Old 05-07-2009, 03:19 PM

Default same problem here

Hello,

I have the same problem as Porto: one of the potentiometers on my Kaze Master only works at full speed. This is quite strange, and the problem has somehow worsened on the course of a few days. At first, suddenly, one of my fans stopped running, so the Kaze Master started to beep (it's really a great product by the way). So I turned the button up, and the fan started running again. I turned the button down again to adjust the speed so the fan was quiet, and everything was fine.

Later (maybe a few hours later or the next day), same problem. But this time, I couldn't turn down the potentiomenter. As soon as I turned it down even slightly, the fan would stop running.

Thinking it might be a problem with the fan, I tried to connect it to another channel of the Kaze Master. It worked with no problem. Then, since obvioulsy it was a problem withn the Kaze Master itself, I shipped it to my reseller. Before that, the Kaze Master worked flawlessly, for 8 months.

Unfortunately, they told me they could not reproduce this problem... They're still looking at it, but it looks like they're going to ship it back to me (and I'll have to pay extra, since their policy is to make you pay the postage when they send back a non-defective product, oh well). So I came here to see if anyone had encountered the same problem, if it's a known problem or not, is there a work-around, etc.

Maybe it's just the potentiometer which is somehow broken, and during the shipping to the reseller it got more or less back intoplace, so it works again. Until it moves again or something like. However, the Kaze Master hasn't moved for 8 months, it was sitting securely in my PC, which doesn't move (it's a huge beast, so...); so I don't think it's this kind of problem. But who knows.

I would like to add the following info: in fact I was powering 3 fans and not 1 on the defective channel (it's a watercooling radiator with 3 120mm fans, Noctua NF-P12, rated at 1.08 Watts, so for 3 it means 3.24 Watts, which is clearly under the maximum 12 Watts per channel of the Kaze Master (unless I'm wrong).
I did not check the voltage, that's a good idea, unfortunately I don't have the Kaze Master now. When they ship it back to me, I'll certainly do that.

Thanks in advance for any help on this matter and sorry for the long message...
Old 08-12-2009, 07:06 PM

@Rokdun,

Have you got your fancontroller back and is the problem solved or the same sh*t?

The potentiometer with my controller died completely and I've soldered it off the board to look around for a replacement but nobody seems to sell the right one.
I now use the other three, still perfect, working control knobs and only use the temp readout of the faulty channel. Maybe I can get a faulty unit to replace the potmeter but likely I will go for the new NZXT Sentry 2 unit instead (touchscreen!)... no more broken potmeters on that one!

Would be a great service if Scythe sends me the correct potmeter to DIY repair the thing.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:09 PM

I got back the fancontroller. It worked OK for two days or so, then the same problem happened again. Very frustrating...
Old 08-13-2009, 11:24 AM
Product Manager Assistant

Send a message via MSN to sumo

@Porto,

If you want you can buy some of these potis direct from us, no problem there.

@Rokdun,

do you send it back to your shop or made a direct RMA with us?
Old 08-13-2009, 11:30 AM

I sent it back to the shop that sold it to me. It's an internet shop. I can give you all the details if you wish.

Edit: I mean, at the time, I sent it to them. They sent it back to me a month ago, and it works on 3 legs now, as I explained.

Last edited by Rokdun; 08-13-2009 at 05:34 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:25 PM

@Sumo,

I just ordered a Scythe Kaze Server!
Why didn't you mention this in 2008!?

I wanted a NZXT sentry 2 but, like many other fancontrollers these days, they look promising and cool but support far less power output (mostly under 6w per channel) than the Scythe units that supports up to 12w p/c; I connect a minimum of 2 fans p/c so a high power output is what I need. I also like the cool though straight forward design of the Kaze master/server units.

But I would like to know the price of 2 potmeters and the total costs to Holland.

Thanks! Porto

BTW: are the knobs of the Kaze Master ACE unit (black with chrome lining) also sold seperately?
If yes, 4 knobs with 2 potmeters, how much will that cost me in total?

Last edited by Porto; 08-13-2009 at 02:27 PM.