Official Scythe Forum

Official Scythe Forum (http://www.scythe-eu.com/forum/)
-   Announcement / News (http://www.scythe-eu.com/forum/announcement-news/)
-   -   Q: Can I cut the Heatpipes? (http://www.scythe-eu.com/forum/announcement-news/34-q-can-i-cut-heatpipes.html)

Shinigami 07-19-2007 10:34 AM

Q: Can I cut the Heatpipes?

For most users the answer should be obvious, yet it seems the amount of people that don't know the answer is increasing.

You could cut the heatpipes but this voids the warranty and the cooler stops working propperly!

Please do NOT cut or damage the heatpipes in any way, it would be a real pitty. I had already a couple cases where users simply have cut the ends of the heatpipes and even recommended in forums to cut the pipes. This is not good at all!

First of all: The Pipe is not empty and it works such efficient not because it is empty or made of copper! The reason is the structure and the material which they are filled with. For more details please refer to the folowing page.
Wikipedia: Heatpipes (English)
Wikipedia: Caloduc (French)
Wikipedia: Heatpipes (Deutsch)

So once again to be clear: DO NOT CUT THE HEATPIPES!
This would save you and us a lot of headache.

Greetings,
Andy

Scythe Support

Aubonmicro.com 07-19-2007 02:47 PM

in french Caloduc = heat pipe

Caloduc - Wikip├ędia

Shinigami 07-19-2007 04:38 PM

Hi Aubonmicro.com,

Thanks, I have added the link, thanks a lot! We were also thinking to open a French corner but right now we can not support French language because no one can speak it inside Scythe...I think in few months it will work.

Greetings,
Andy

Aubonmicro.com 07-19-2007 06:40 PM

many people speak french ! ;)

Francophonie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

DagoDuck 07-19-2007 08:13 PM

Of course, but at present Scythe cannot offer a support in French. :)

Best regards,
DagoDuck

Beowulf 02-06-2008 04:17 AM

Hi Wikipedia mentions that some heatpipes contains a wick design to send the coolant back to the hot areas of the heatpipes. Does Scythe's heatpipes have it or do they just work on evaporation and condensation alone?

If so, doesn't the position of the mainboard (horizontal or vertical to the ground) have different effects on cooling efficiency?

Should I place the mainboard horizontal with the copper base at the bottom for best effect?

Also, some forums seems to have mentioned better cooling when the U shape of the heatpipes is parallel to the ground, compared to when it is Vertical.

:):confused:

StaticPressure 10-21-2009 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beowulf (Post 1987)
Hi Wikipedia mentions that some heatpipes contains a wick design to send the coolant back to the hot areas of the heatpipes. Does Scythe's heatpipes have it or do they just work on evaporation and condensation alone?

If so, doesn't the position of the mainboard (horizontal or vertical to the ground) have different effects on cooling efficiency?

Should I place the mainboard horizontal with the copper base at the bottom for best effect?

Also, some forums seems to have mentioned better cooling when the U shape of the heatpipes is parallel to the ground, compared to when it is Vertical.

:):confused:

Scythe's heatpipes have wicking.
If they didn't, they'd be hard pressed to compete with other coolers in terms of performance. (Which clearly isn't the case. The Mugen 2 is one of the best performers out there.)

AiAiAi 10-28-2009 06:21 PM

New to this Forum so Hi everybody.
Q: OK They use wicking, no problems with mountin.
Next what about the choise of gas/liquid and pressure?
I have a Big Shurikan and changed to Nactua NF-P12 fan to increase cooling.
Many tests I've read results in this cpu cooler is good for cooling up to 80W? But they consider 65C on CPU is high enough? The i7 940 I have is good for 100C before triping.
I tested with OCCT to CPU 100% and 125W.Temp CPU70,MB40,SB50,NB60 (MB,SB,NB same and stable as IDLE)

My question: What is the design temp for this cooler?
Not only the temp diff of cooling media (room air temp) but also the difference between them (CPU) matters. Temp diff is the "amplitude" (pressure) of transfer ability between 2 media.
In my case air between heatpipe/convection surface.
Or am I thinking totaly wrong?

Shinigami 11-03-2009 10:45 AM

Hi and welcome. Sorry that I didn't see this post.

We can not simply disclose what is inside. I will email you on this topic and hope for your understanding.

We test the coolers based on around 130 W or higher, so when people say 85 W it is not our statement. The thing is that we want it to be working fine with 130 W if this is possible, but lower TDPs are still fine then.High end models are testd on an even higher TDP.

The design temp is a sort of a secret as well, please refer to my email there. Thanks =)

AiAiAi 11-03-2009 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shinigami (Post 8664)
Hi and welcome. Sorry that I didn't see this post.

We can not simply disclose what is inside. I will email you on this topic and hope for your understanding.

We test the coolers based on around 130 W or higher, so when people say 85 W it is not our statement. The thing is that we want it to be working fine with 130 W if this is possible, but lower TDPs are still fine then.High end models are testd on an even higher TDP.

The design temp is a sort of a secret as well, please refer to my email there. Thanks =)

Thanks for Your answer. I would be pleased for whatever inf you
possibly can give. I now understand I'm asking for not public info.
I don't really need to know but it's my habit as engineer to understand
engineering, occupational habit. As my profile state I'm retired because of an accident and
therefor computers is a thing I still can do. And to be honest this is a computer forum and not so
much engineering
I didn't answer earlier as I had to change my Zalman fan control (broke down). It wasn't perfect
due to problems with bad choise of the screen, hard to see the values. So now I changed to your
Scythe Kaze Server control and just got it running again.So far I'm pleased with the performance.
And the first "feeling" is that the Zalman didn't work proprly, the fan speeds seams to be higher.
I will learn later if this is the case when I"ll do more testing.
Thanks again.
<
<
<
22:50---EDIT:
After runnig the new SCythe fan control I've lowered the temps even more:After letting it "warm up" for 1h and temp rising to the 40C on CPU, MB, SB 50C and NB 60C.I change location to cooler air outside the desk cubbord.
I GOT IDLE: CPU 28, MB 28, SB 45C, NB 50C. Havn't put my mind to ballance fan speeds yet.
But beleive it works far better then the ZALMAN. Like the temp termistors and accurasy.
Put them in possitions around the CPU and one on center Ram mem.